Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Donald Judd


Donald Judd is typically associated with three dimensional installations and sculpture; however his furniture pieces are his most stimulating work. As one of the first artists to declare and explore minimalism, his furniture designs are elegant. At the same time the designs are practical and are appealing to the eye.Judd was very insistent that his furniture should not be seen as artist’s furniture but as real furniture.

"I’m very touchy about it being considered art. To me the chairs and benches are perfectly comfortable, not hard and uncomfortable as people sometimes seem to think they are. I have nineteenth-century wooden chairs from Sweden and I’ve sat on them for years. I think the thing to do is to either sit up or lie down or stand up: I’m not sympathetic to in-between positions.” *

* http://www.louisaguinnessgallery.com/exhibitions/donald_judd.htm

No comments: