Sunday, September 7, 2008

James Turrell



                                   









  Turrell works primarily with light and space.  "I  feel   my work is made for one being, one individual. You could say that's me, but that's not really true. It's for an idealized viewer. Sometimes I'm kind of cranky coming to see something. I saw the Mona Lisa when it was in L.A., saw it for 13 seconds and had to move on. But, you know, there's this slow-food movement right now. Maybe we could also have a slow-art movement, and take an hour "  As a lifelong member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quaker), Turrell designed the Live Oak Meeting House for the Society of Friends, with an opening or skyhole in the roof, wherein the notion of light takes on a decidedly religious connotation. (See PBS documentary).  Turrell is also well know for Roden Crater which is a naked eye observatory carved into an ancient volcanic cater just outside of Flagstaff, Arizona.  

No comments: