Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ben Oddi - new paintings since last crit




The desire for freedom, escape, and exploration influence the narrative of my oil paintings. In my representations, I examine the possibilities of utopia and dystopia through the escapist tendency to create a parallel realism. The pictorial environment is meant to emphasize a disconnection to a tactile reality, where ideas and experiences are confused, allowing the viewer to assemble a personal narrative. By doing so, the work evokes a feeling of uneasiness through improbability; this imaginary voyage should feel familiar and sublime, with a feeling of imminent danger.
The artists Paul Noble and Neo Rauch have been contemporaries responding to similar themes, whose work I find both different and inspiring. While I study the natures of escapism related to utopian and dystopian philosophy, I do not align with one thought or the other, but choose to respond to both concerning the nature of free will. The lectures of Theodor Adorno, fictional utopian literature, and Ernst Bloch’s revolutionary utopic perspectives have shaped how I view and represent the possibility of change.

No comments: