Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Matt Nauman - Recent Work

"Two drawers and Four shelves"

plywood, maple, sterling silver, medium density fiberboard, threaded rod, milk paint

"Table with drawer"

pin oak, maple, curly anegre veneer, medium density fiberboard, drawer glides, milk paint


Designing to confront the efficiency of common utilitarian objects, I challenge the user to question the functionality of furniture forms. Utility is a vital component to my designing process. However I do not believe the work to be utilitarian. Drawers in furniture create an alluring arrangement of space. I manipulate this space to create intrigue through the discovery of multiple internal cavities. These cavities are then assumed to be readily accessible. By incorporating mechanisms that are not associated with conventional furniture, I allow the user to create their own connection to my work. I leave the interior spaces of my drawers open and empty. This ultimately invites the user to develop his/her personal application to each piece.

No comments: